Ref: SCART-2023-0104

Automatic detection of small-scale EUV brightenings observed by the Solar Orbiter/EUI

Alipour, N. ; Safari, H. ; Verbeeck, C. ; Berghmans, D. ; ManyOtherAuthors, X. ; Dolla, L. ; Gissot, S. ; Zhukov, A. N.

published in Astronomy & Astrophysics, 663, pp. A128 (2022)

Abstract: Context. Accurate detections of frequent small-scale extreme ultraviolet (EUV) brightenings are essential to the investigation of the physical processes heating the corona. Aims. We detected small-scale brightenings, termed campfires, using their morphological and intensity structures as observed in coronal EUV imaging observations for statistical analysis. Methods. We applied a method based on Zernike moments and a support vector machine (SVM) classifier to automatically identify and track campfires observed by Solar Orbiter/Extreme Ultraviolet Imager (EUI) and Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO)/Atmospheric Imaging Assembly (AIA). Results. This method detected 8678 campfires (with length scales between 400 km and 4000 km) from a sequence of 50 High Resolution EUV telescope (HRIEUV) 174 Å images. From 21 near co-temporal AIA images covering the same field of view as EUI, we found 1131 campfires, 58% of which were also detected in HRIEUV images. In contrast, about 16% of campfires recognized in HRIEUV were detected by AIA. We obtain a campfire birthrate of 2 × 10−16 m−2 s−1. About 40% of campfires show a duration longer than 5 s, having been observed in at least two HRIEUV images. We find that 27% of campfires were found in coronal bright points and the remaining 73% have occurred out of coronal bright points. We detected 23 EUI campfires with a duration greater than 245 s. We found that about 80% of campfires are formed at supergranular boundaries, and the features with the highest total intensities are generated at network junctions and intense H I Lyman-α emission regions observed by EUI/HRILya. The probability distribution functions for the total intensity, peak intensity, and projected area of campfires follow a power law behavior with absolute indices between 2 and 3. This self-similar behavior is a possible signature of self-organization, or even self-organized criticality, in the campfire formation process.

DOI: https://doi.org/10.1051/0004-6361/202243257
Links: link

The record appears in these collections:
Royal Observatory of Belgium > Solar Physics & Space Weather (SIDC)
Science Articles > Peer Reviewed Articles
Solar-Terrestrial Centre of Excellence

 Record created 2023-02-01, last modified 2023-02-01